Registration: RTMB600H (German)
This Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman was built in 1965 and delivered to its first proprietor, the President of Zaire, Mobutu Sese Seko. It has the desirable opposing rear seats and all 6 side windows can be lowered - an extremely rare option. It was the first of 15 Mercedes 600 Pullman limousines that were sold in this country. Most of them did not survive, but this one did - with less than 40,000 km on the clock! A copy of the original „certificat d’immatriculation’ proves its history. It was actually issued to the president himself.
In 1978, a german collector bought the car in Zaire and had it shipped to Germany via Amsterdam. During the 80ies, he had it re-painted in the original black paint (G040) and some light restoration was done, i.e. a stainless exhaust was fitted. The car was stored in a warm place and regularly started and serviced, but not driven a lot.
In 2005, the current owner bought the car from this collector, making him the 3rd owner. He did some more restoration work, but kept the original look and feel intact. The goal was to make the car roadworthy but keep some patina like the original carpet and leather, both in a good condition. Technically, everything was brought to a condition that made it possible to use the car for weddings and other official events like filming movies and TV shows.
Now, the car is for sale because after 13 years, the owner has decided to develop his collection into another direction.
This is what has been done to the car since 2005:
- Complete revision of the comfort hydraulics incl. all new levers, overhauled switches, cylinders and an overhauled high pressure pump and reservoir
- Both axles have been overhauled with all bushings and mounts
- All interior wood (African Macassar) has been refinished for that extra glossy finish
- The engine had a major service incl. new chain guides, injector housings, a breaker-free ignition with new hardware
- The central locking system has been completely redone, incl. all actuators, reservoir and many connectors
- The air pressure system has been restored, all air valves overhauled and the pressure tanks re-sealed
- The gearbox was completely overhauled by the Mercedes-Benz factory
- The drive shaft was re-balanced and both joints replaced
- The brakes were completely overhauled, all calipers cleaned and repaired. A new brake booster was fitted.
- The water pump was replaced with a factory restored part
- The radiator and heater cores were replaced and re-selaed, then reinstalled with new hoses
- Many chrome parts were replaced with new or re-chromed parts, all mounts and bushings replaced
- The radio system was overhauled by the leading specialist, the aerial, radio unit and the distributor were replaced, the rear remote control was modified to work with the new system
It’s obvious that no expenses were spared to keep the car in a very good running condition, which is documented through annual inspections by the german TÜV. The car was driven almost 20,000 km during the ownership.
More details to follow soon
Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST
Back to sales vehicles